It is half term which means a week of no school and some time to sew, I have completed my Walkloden boiled wool suit, after a struggle with the lining of the jacket which seemed unnecessarily complicated. It is warm and comfortable and will be ideal for chilly winter days. The sun has therefore come out to taunt me into wanting to sew lighter Spring clothes so this morning I have made a start on a pair of jersey trousers, “leisure wear” I suppose, I’m thinking of them as something soft and comfortable to wear in the evenings. They are a rather dull grey colour – the fabric has been in the stash for a while and hasn’t inspired me so I thought it would be a good test fabric. If I like the finished style then I can make some more in more inspiring fabrics. The pattern is an old one Butterick 5150 designed for fleece fabric or double knits.
Sewing time is frequently interrupted by two indignant dogs who cannot understand why there are men outside stealing the pavement (the tarmac and edgings are all being replaced) and why I am doing nothing about it. Skye in particular is very concerned with them so we spend much of the day at the back of the house as far away as possible but it is impossible to escape the noise and dust they are creating. Although I’m less than delighted at them being around in what should be a peaceful week for me I’m glad I am around as the dogs would be more upset if they were here on their own.
Edited to add, the Butterick trousers are much much looser than anticipated, I made a size 14, took them in to about a 12 and still have too much ease. They will be very comfortable as lounging around trousers but it’s not quite the look I was hoping for! Butterick measurements are plainly very generous.
I was still in the sewing mood so this afternoon began sewing Vogue 9070, a short sleeved blouse which I made some years ago and liked. In the intervening years I have lost the instruction sheet but it’s a blouse how difficult can it be?
I want to do French seams inside which are not part of the pattern but as I’m using quite a fine cotton fabric will give a neater finish than the pressed open seams recommended. The fabric is pink and white stripes with some pulled threadwork and embroidery making up the stripes. It is a piece I’ve had for years but will do fine as a wearable muslin to check the fit of the pattern before I cut into the linen I’m planning to make it in next. My wardrobe is very short of blouses and skirts so my vague sewing plan is to make a collection of suitable pieces for wearing as the weather gets warmer. Assuming of course we get some decent warm weather this year, last year I gave up summer sewing altogether as it was so wet and cold.
I have also sorted out my boxes of patterns and have disposed of those no longer in a fit state to use or with pieces missing that can’t be replaced, not to mention one or two “What was I thinking” patterns that should never see the light of day. The sunshine combined with the holiday has given me more energy than usual but I’m now (at 4.15pm) ready for a rest and as the road men seem to have gone home the dogs are happy to relax too.