A beautiful blouse…part 2

After looking at embroidery machines in the wake of the beautiful blouse issue I decided to upgrade to the Husqvarna Designer Ruby, a second hand model which has been used in a sewing shop as a demonstration machine. I love the machine and planned to celebrate its purchase with the making of the “beautiful blouse”. What a trial that has been.

First I bought the suggested Burda pattern 8347 BD_8347and cut out View C in some red and white spotted cotton thinking I could test the pattern and make myself a summery top at the same time. Followed the pattern to the letter but I hated the final shape, the neckline is gaping and sat oddly on my shoulders resulting in far too much cleavage showing if I leaned forward, the cap sleeves were a bit tight and made my shoulders look too wide. I then tried Sewaholic’s Alma blouse 300view A. I used the red and white spotted fabric for this too.This turned out much better although I need to sew the next smaller size as I’ve lost a bit more weight. The neckline sits well and the cap sleeves are just enough shoulder coverage without looking like American Football shoulder pads.

Today I began the beautiful blouse instructions. I cut out view B from the Alma pattern this time, thinking the short sleeves would look pretty. I followed the instructions to cut out the blouse to the waist level leaving four to six inches of extra fabric around the pattern below the waist to allow for the embroidery hoop. Sewed the darts, and pressed them. Then I began measuring up for the embroidery. In the instructions it clearly show the blouse with the design sewn twice once to the right, once to the left meeting in the middle with a few flowers outside the seamline. beautiful blouseHa, maybe if you are a size zero that might work but I’m making a 12, a fairly standard size I’d have thought. There is no possibility of two designs filling the space across the hem of the blouse, measuring the design and pattern it would fit the size zero, almost fit the size 2 but thereafter it is too short. These are big designs that take a lot of stitching out and do not start at one side and sew along to the other so adding a bit more isn’t an option, it will have to be a complete design ie six designs not four. And that will use 50% more embroidery thread, bobbin thread, water soluble backing etc not to mention more time to stitch out. This blouse really is going to be a labour of love! Ah well, back to the machine.


2 thoughts on “A beautiful blouse…part 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s