Hurrah

The “beautiful blouse” is finished.Cutwork-Finesse-202-Emb-Chj Finally, after many twists and turns I sewed the last stitch today. It is drying at the moment, having rinsed it about five times to get rid of the water soluble embroidery stabilizer I gave up and put it in the washing machine. It is now much softer and has lost the lampshade stiffness around the hemline.

I’ll have to post pictures later but suffice to say I am happy with how it turned out, not ecstatic, but happy. Why just happy … well firstly the embroidery thread is very white, the linen less brilliant white so the embroidery stands out more than I’d planned. The fabric looks even more cream coloured now it is wet but hopefully the embroidery will not stand out quite so much as the linen dries. Secondly the design incorporated holes, (well of course it does it’s Cutwork!) some of which are just above the waistline of most of my jeans so when I tried the top on I saw flashes of tummy, not the look I was going for at all. It is fine over a high waisted skirt but most of my jeans are cut just below the waist. Thirdly it is slightly boxy despite the fitted darts and curved side seams though that may be because I was trying it on while it was still full of stabilizer goo and not draping at all. I didn’t bother with the zip this time as the two previous blouses I have made with invisible zips have turned out to be plenty roomy enough to slip on with the zips closed and I don’t like the feeling of the zipped seam on a blouse unless the zip is a very soft and flexible one. My final and tiny niggle is that it looks best over a plain fabric skirt and I have only one skirt that meets this criterion. It is a navy blue jeans skirt, not very summery, so I shall have to make a skirt to go with the blouse in a plain coloured linen with a high waistband. I will not be making a matching embroidered skirt, I have no plans to show flashes of leg too!

Advertisements

About time…

Apologies for my absence, it’s been a busy few weeks. Firstly Skye was ill, and when I say ill I mean seriously ill, staying at the vet’s ill, being transferred to Liverpool Small Animal teaching Hospital type ill. She is recovering well and when it is all a bit less raw I’ll recount the tale. For now we are just celebrating the fact that she is alive and getting back to normal.

My sewing stalled for a while, the Ruby sewing machine went back to have it’s casing fixed, came back looking wonderful but with a tiny but important piece missing which meant i couldn’t wind any bobbins. A quick email to Neil at Coles Sewing Centre in Nottingham sorted that out and the piece is on its way to me. In the meantime I’ve been embroidering the “beautiful blouse” – and cutting out replacement pieces and embroidering them again. On the third attempt I decided to do the embroidery first rather than sewing the darts first as the pattern suggested as the machine seemed to slip when it reached the darts resulting in a wonky pattern. I finished the embroidered pieces today but you will have to be patient and wait until I’ve sewn it together before I show it to you.

The other day I spotted this fabulous fabric at Truro Fabrics, its cotton pique with a little Spandex to give it stretch

Ascher Tulips  My plan is to make a shift dress if I can squeeze it out of the yardage I’ve got, if not then it will become a Deer and Doe Chardon skirt. It is an Ascher print and is navy on cream but is also available in red and cream, which I’m very tempted by. If the navy is only enough to make a skirt I might have to buy the red to make the dress. I love pique fabric but it is difficult to find in anything other than plain white.